Welcome to our new Instron Community Blog hosted by Instron. It is a compilation of the freshest, brightest, most-talented minds that Instron has to offer. The world of materials science is so vast and encompasses the broadest range of industries, materials, and challenges that no one person can possibly possess all the knowledge required to be the resident expert – or master of materials science. It takes a small army behind the scenes collaborating and sharing technical know-how, experiences, and ideas to present the most accurate, relevant, and timely information to you – our readers.

We invite you to tell us who you are, share your stories and talk about your experiences. Join the Instron Community.

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Composite Metal Foam: A New ‘Hip’ Material

The first surgery to replace a damaged hip joint with an artificial joint was performed just 50 years ago. Today more than 190,000 hip replacement surgeries are performed in the USA alone. During this time, there have been many improvements to the surgical techniques and to the technologies and materials of the replacement joints but inherent problems remain. One of these is the slow deterioration of bone tissue around the prosthetic material due in part to uneven load distribution between the prosthetic and the bone itself.


Dr. Afsaneh Rabiei, a professor of mechanical, aerospace, and biomedical engineering at North Carolina State University has recently developed a new composite metal foam material that offers, among many other possibilities, the development of new hip joint prostheses that may overcome this problem.

Read full article

2 comments:

Ben R said...

Hello,

My name is Ben Reynolds, I am currently a student at the University of Arkansas, and 21 years of age. Five and a half years ago I had a total hip replacement due to a previous accident in which my hip healed wrong. I have to say that this metal foam testing has really given me high hopes. Before I had a hip replacement I was a young active teenager that loved playing sports. Unfortunately, the current titanium alloy hip I have now restricts me from doing simple things like running and jumping. I am very interested in being able to do simple activities that involve running or jumping again. I have been told that eventually I will have to get another replacement. If there is any way that I could get in contact with someone to discuss further details I would greatly appreciate it!

Thank You,
Ben Reynolds

Instron said...

Thanks for your comment Ben. We are trying to contact Dr. Afsaneh Rabiei to see if she can provide more details for you. Please be patient and we will get back to you as soon as we hear from her.